|This photo is the official campaign image for the “Three Rectifications and One Demolition” campaign in
Zhejiang. (Photo courtesy of an unnamed source)
China Aid Association
|Leaders conduct a “Three Rectifications and One Demolition”
field meeting. (Photo courtesy of an unnamed source)
(Zhejiang—April 9, 2014) China Aid has gained access to documents from within the provincial government of China’s coastal Zhejiang, which indicate that the province is in the midst of conducting a three-year campaign to eradicate “illegal” structures for the alleged purpose of boosting Zhejiang’s economy and the promotion of modern construction.
People’s governments in various municipalities and counties (cities, districts) and work units directly subordinate to the provincial government:
The provincial government has decided that a three-year campaign from 2013 through 2015 shall be unfolded to improve old residential areas, old factory areas and villages within cities and to demolish all illegal structures (hereinafter referred to as Three Rectifications and One Demolition). Following is the notice in detail:
Unfolding the campaign of “Three Rectifications and One Demolition” is an important action in implementing the spirit of the Party’s 18th National Congress and the Party’s 13th Provincial Congress. It is also an important action for the Provincial Party Committee to do a good job in “1, 3, 5”*— in realizing the quadrupling of the gross domestic product of Zhejiang province and in promoting the modern construction of Zhejiang with the material wealth and spiritual wealth. The campaign is badly needed in promoting the new-style urbanization, improving the urban and rural landscapes, optimizing the human environment for residence and in building a beautiful Zhejiang. It is an effective way in enhancing the construction of urban and rural planning, promoting conservation and land use, accelerating the transformation of modes of development, and it is an objective requirement in enhancing and innovating social management and in creating a harmonious society. People in various places and in various departments should fully recognize the importance and urgency of doing a good job in this respect. They should take effective measures and promote it at full throttle.
[Note: “1, 3, 5” is an acronym used by the Chinese government for a work objective timeline. In this case, it specifically means: You should make full efforts in doing a good job within one year of 2013. You should completely and resolutely accomplish the tasks set by the provincial government on Dec. 5, 2013, within the next three years. You should fully implement the goals and tasks set in the 13th Provincial Party Congress by the end of the next five years.]
2. Our goals and tasks
Our goals include fully unfolding the rectification of the old residential areas, old factory areas and villages within cities inside the urban planning zones and demolishing illegal structures inside the entire province that violate the law and regulations governing land management and urban and rural planning. After three years of efforts, the rectification on the old residential areas, old factory areas and villages within cities shall be promoted in full scale—great achievement will be accomplished in demolishing illegal structures and the conduct of building illegal structures will be fully contained. In the campaign of “Three Rectifications and One Demolition,” we should fully embody the requirements of promoting development, expanding space, optimizing the environment, protecting stability and benefitting people’s livelihood.
The campaign of “Three Rectifications and One Demolition” is divided into three phases:
Phase 1: Plans are formulated and goals are confirmed. By March 2013, governments at various municipalities and counties (cities, districts) should conduct a thorough investigation on old residential areas, old factory areas, villages inside cities and various types of illegal structures in the urban planning district under their jurisdiction. The result of the investigation shall be confirmed and collected by the various municipal governments and then submitted to the provincial government. Then, the provincial government shall formulate the general goals and working plans for the “Three Rectifications and One Demolition” campaign, according to the investigation report. It will then issue the norm of the annual tasks to the various municipal governments. Then, governments of various municipalities and counties (cities, districts) will study and formulate the concrete working plans for the “Three Rectifications and One Demolition” campaign.
Phase 2: Measures are taken and the work is fully pushed forward. From April 2013 through the end of 2015, governments of various municipalities, counties (cities, districts) shall fully unfold the “Three Rectifications and One Demolition” campaign and establish a perfect accounting system for the “Three Rectifications and One Demolition” campaign. They shall list key projects and enact policies and measures by dividing them into phases, regions and sub-items. Meanwhile, the provincial government will supervise and circulate information on a regular basis. Relevant work units at the provincial level shall enact and come out with, respectively, policies and opinions supporting the “Three Rectifications and One Demolition” campaign and establish a mechanism to promote the work in this field.
Phase 3: Summarize the work, recognize outstanding work and consolidate the fruit of our work. In the first half of 2016, the provincial government shall summarize and recognize outstanding work in the three-year “Three Rectifications and One Demolition” campaign. In the meantime, the provincial government shall establish a perfect long-term mechanism, and consolidate and expand the fruit of the “Three Rectifications and One Demolition” campaign.
4. Organizers and leaders
The provincial Party committee and the provincial government shall establish the leading group for the “Three Rectifications and One Demolition” campaign in Zhejiang province (hereinafter referred to as ‘provincial leading group’). The leader in the provincial government in charge of the construction in urban and rural areas shall serve as the group leader. The person who works as deputy general secretary in the provincial government and who is in charge of the provincial Department of Construction and the provincial Department of Homeland Resources shall serve as the deputy group leader. Responsible members in relevant departments in the provincial government shall join in the efforts. The office for the provincial leading group shall be established in the provincial Department of Construction and the major responsible member of the provincial Department of Construction shall double as the office manager. Members of the provincial leading group shall be professionals, selected from the work units of the members who shall be responsible for the organization, coordination, supervision, evaluation and other types of work in the “Three Rectifications and One Demolition” campaign in Zhejiang province.
5. Relevant requirements
(1) Get a clear idea of the responsibilities in the work. Such a working mechanism should be established: In the “Three Rectifications and One Demolition” campaign, locality authorities should bear the brunt of the workload and while the functional departments consolidate their work. Members should be in charge of the work at different levels and laws shall be enforced in a comprehensive way so that all the facets of the work can be pushed forward at the same time. Governments at municipal, county (cities, districts) and township levels (including neighborhood offices) are the main body responsible for the “Three Rectifications and One Demolition” campaign. A leading team should be established at every municipal, county (city, district) level, and the chief leading member shall serve as the team leader so that he or she can establish a strong working organization and have a clear division of labor. Relevant departments at various localities should do their job well, enhance their coordination, integrate their resources to form a synergy and ensure the smooth and successful unfolding of our work.
(2) Enhance planning and management. Governments at various places should use the general planning of land use, urban and rural planning and other relevant planning as their basis to promote the relevant work in “Three Rectifications and One Demolition” in a reasonable way. They should further integrate and enhance the relevant planning, enhance the mutual connection between plans, fully bring into play the role of guidance, adjustment and control of the overall planning and urban and rural planning of land use.
(3) Persist in conducting administration in accordance with law. The office of the provincial leading group should enact the guiding opinions, policies and measures in determining illegal structures and methods of dealing with them in different categories to effectively standardize all the work relating to “Three Rectifications and One Demolition.” Relevant departments at the provincial level should use the state law and regulations as their basis and do a good and expedited job in the legislative work related to the “Three Rectifications and One Demolition” in our province. In the meantime, they should enact concrete supporting methods of implementation. Governments at various municipalities, counties (cities, districts) should ensure social stability through administration in accordance with law. They should handle, in a standardized way, the administrative discretion of the illegal structures, set standards in details on determining illegal structures and set up concrete methods in handling them according to different categories, make it clear who is the main body, the procedures and protective measures in the demolition of illegal structures. They should enact the concrete measures in the improvement and rectification of old residential areas, old factory areas and villages within cities and submit a report on this to the office of the provincial leading group for the record.
(4) Innovate new working methods. They should persist in letting rectification guide the demolition, letting demolition promote rectification and combining rectification and demolition so that they can benefit the common people. They should persist in making breakthroughs at key points, push forward in an orderly way and demolish illegal structures that violate laws and regulations, occupy farmland, affect public safety and major construction, seriously affect urban and rural planning, those that are located on both sides of main lines of transportation. They should persist in taking actions that suit local circumstances, pushing forward in a harmonious way. They should take into consideration the actual condition of various places and pay attention to the close combination of the “Three Rectifications and One Demolition” with the promotion of new urbanization, construction of a new countryside, ecological balance of Zhejiang, construction of a beautiful Zhejiang, improvement on the housing condition and residential environment in urban and rural areas, and the optimization of the development and utilization of resources development and other jobs.
(5) Strict supervision and evaluation. You should regard the completion status of the tasks in the “Three Rectifications and One Demolition” campaign as an important content for the annual evaluation of governments at all levels. Each year, the provincial government will issue a statement of responsibility for specific annual work and implement a system in which work progress is reported every month, supervision is reported every three months and an evaluation is conducted every year. The result of the evaluation will be closely connected with the awards and punishments of leaders. For municipalities and counties (cities, districts) that haven’t done a good job in the “Three Rectifications and One Demolition” campaign, a notice of criticism shall be circulated, media outlets will report on their poor performance and measures will be taken to handle their cases. The office of the provincial leading group will enact the specific methods in the evaluation.
(6) Enhance the guidance of public opinions. Relevant departments at various places should enact a propaganda plan in a serious manner for the “Three Rectifications and One Demolition” campaign and bring into full play the effects of newspapers, radios, TV stations and the Internet. They should create columns, discussion forums and reports in a timely manner along with the progress of the work to create a good environment for public opinions and guide forces in the society in actively supporting and joining the “Three Rectifications and One Demolition” campaign. They should bring into full play the effect of role models and use media such as field meetings to greatly promote the good experience and good methods from various places and promote the healthy, solid and orderly progress in the “Three Rectifications and One Demolition” campaign in our province.
Zhejiang Provincial People’s Government
February 21, 2013
(This document is to be openly published)
[Note: Due to the quality of photos received by China Aid, parts of this document were too illegible to be translated. However, China Aid feels that the mere existence of this document and the translated content is important for distribution.]
Document for Ruian city’s “Three Rectifications and One Demolition” and Office for Second Development of Low-Efficiency Use of Land in Urban Areas
Rui Gai Chai Ban (2014) No. 3. Issued by: Huang Hongkui
Various township governments and neighborhood offices,
According to the unified deployment and requirements of the provincial government, it is decided that work of “Three Rectifications and One Demolition” shall be unfolded throughout the city on investigating and screening of illegal structures involving religious organizations and folk faiths. Following is a notice regarding this work:
1. Time for the investigation and screening
By February 26.
2. Targets for investigation and screening
According to the requirements of the provincial Party committee and the provincial government and the actual work of our city, the targets of the investigation are: illegal structures within legal sites for religious activities, privately established sites for Christian activities and other illegal structures, illegal structures for folk faiths. The methods of dealing with them are [illegible].
3. Requirements in work
(1) You should regard the illegal structures listed as“7: must be demolished” as confirmed by the provincial system for ethnic and religious affairs as key targets in your investigation and screening, [illegible].
(2) As the time for this work is short and the tasks are heavy, township governments at various places and neighborhood committees must pay a lot of attention on this, enhance their leadership, assign jobs to special people. [Illegible].
Contact person for “Three Rectifications and One Demolition:” Ye Renrong. Tel: [Illegible]
|The first page of the notice issued by the
Rui’an government. (Photo: China Aid)
Contact person: Zhang Xiaowei Tel: [Illegible]
Fax: [Illegible], email: [Illegible]
1. Table of statistics for illegal structures within legal sites for religious activities that are covered under “Three Rectifications and One Demolition”
2. Table of statistics for privately established Christian gathering sites and other illegal structures that are covered under “Three Rectifications and One Demolition”
3. Table of statistics for illegal structures in sites for folk faiths that are covered under “Three Rectifications and One Demolition”
4. Table of progress for investigation and handling of illegal religious structures.
|A notice sent to an individual, informing them that they
must demolish their home. (Photo: China Aid)
According to the opinion of implementation in handling illegal structures in the Zhejiang provincial campaign of “Three Rectifications and One Demolition,” in combination with the municipal Party committee and the municipal government’s “Three of the Four Sides” project of a major rectification of the environment in urban and rural areas, we will conduct an all-out rectification of illegal structures (including rental houses) within our jurisdiction after studies by our neighborhood committee. We demand that 18 households who have violated the regulations to demolish their illegal structures by April 10 and properly dispose of the construction trash and household trash after the demolition. Should you fail to do so by the due date, compulsory action shall be taken to address the problem.
Anyang Neighborhood Office
Institute No. 2 of Municipal Bureau of Homeland Resources
Institute No. 2 of Municipal Bureau for Residence and Construction
April 3, 2014
[Note: “Three of the Four Sides” is the name of the municipal government’s campaign to “achieve cleanliness, forestation and beautification on both sides of the highways, railroads, rivers and mountains.]
Rachel Ritchie, English Media Contact
Tel: 1+ (888) 889-7757 | Other: (432) 689-6985
Email: [email protected]
Website: www.chinaaid.org | www.monitorchina.org