Christian worship increasingly restricted in Shanghai, report Catholic believers

shanghai china
St. Ignatius Cathedral in Shanghai, China, has not hosted public worship services for months. (Video screengrab / ChinaAid illustration)

(Shanghai, eastern China— August 22, 2026) An anonymous Shanghai Catholic documented developments over the past year that he said indicate increasing restrictions on religious activities among Chinese Catholics.

The report, dated Aug. 1, was later shared on Aug. 19 by a prominent overseas Chinese dissident and citizen journalism account on X. According to the report, a religious goods store affiliated with St. Ignatius Cathedral, also known as Xujiahui Cathedral, began removing theological books from its shelves last year.

Previously, the store displayed theological books, religious statues and cross ornaments. During a subsequent visit on Aug. 1, however, the source reported that all bookshelves had been removed and that neither Bibles nor the “Four Common Prayers,” frequently used by Catholics, were available for purchase.

When other Catholics asked about the missing materials, the cashier reportedly replied, “They’re gone, they’re all gone.”

Similar restrictions have been reported in Beijing. According to an earlier report in The Epoch Times, Catholic churches throughout the capital removed Bibles from sale in June, eliminating a physical channel through which worshippers could purchase them.

The Shanghai source said his city was now experiencing a similar development. “It’s absurd to think that you can’t buy a Bible inside the church—a wonder of the world,” he wrote.

Meanwhile, St. Ignatius Cathedral, in a popular tourist area, has stopped receiving visitors since the beginning of the year, citing interior renovations. The source said many believed the church had closed, but suggested the decision to reopen was not entirely within the church’s control.

The source also described attending Mass at a smaller Catholic church in Beijing, where the presiding priest told parishioners that a July pilgrimage outside the capital had been canceled because of new regulatory requirements.

According to the priest, parishes seeking to organize pilgrimages across regional boundaries must undergo approval procedures that are extremely difficult to complete. He also reportedly said local churches must report parishioners who travel without authorization.

As a result, the source wrote, Catholics may increasingly have to travel privately in groups of “two or three.” The priest told parishioners that, during this “special time,” many things they had previously been able to do together could no longer be done.

Restrictions have also affected online religious activities, according to the report.

The widely used Chinese Catholic application “Wan You Zhen Yuan” previously offered daily Chinese-language livestreams of the Rosary from the Sanctuary of Our Lady of Lourdes in France. The source said the livestream ended abruptly in December 2025, and the page was later removed.

The report described the Rosary livestream as an important spiritual practice for Catholics worldwide and a regular devotion for many Chinese Catholics. The source also said the platform’s informational videos and online spiritual formation courses have been suspended.

The source further recounted an encounter with a young Catholic from Shandong Province who identified himself as a civil servant and feared that discovery of his religious activities could cost him his job.

According to the source, the man said he avoided attending Mass openly in Shandong and participated only while traveling elsewhere for business. He reportedly kept his mask on throughout his visits to avoid being identified.

The report also described possible restrictions affecting Catholic funeral rites. In August, the source said he learned that funeral homes throughout Shanghai had begun refusing to conduct Catholic funeral services.

ChinaAid has expressed concern that the developments described in the report reflect broader efforts to restrict routine religious activities. The organization said it will continue monitoring whether government regulations and enforcement measures further limit Catholics’ ability to practice their faith publicly or privately.

Gao Zhensai is a special correspondent for ChinaAid News. Founded in 2002, ChinaAid is an international Christian human rights organization committed to promoting religious freedom and the rule of law in China through advocacy, legal support, and international awareness campaigns.

News
Read more ChinaAid stories
Click Here
Write
Send encouraging letters to prisoners
Click Here

Send your support

Fight for religious freedom in China

News
Read more ChinaAid stories
Click Here
Write
Send encouraging letters to prisoners
Click Here

Send your support

Fight for religious freedom in China

Scroll to Top